Question of Ethics: A Conversation on Courts and Ethics – February 23, 2023, Episode. This is the second of a two-part conversation on hiring ethical employees. Please check this website for Part-One, held January 26th, 2023.
Brought to You in Cooperation with the National Association for Court Management
What actions can a court take to optimize the hiring of ethical staff? What can you do to ensure that the people you hire will adhere to your court’s Code of Conduct? Relying on Bruce Weinstein’s book, The Good Ones: Ten Crucial Qualities of High Character Employees, the panel discusses the options courts have to identify ethical employees including interview questions about accountability and background checks. The panel considers questions including:
- Describe a situation in which you took responsibility for a mistake you made. What were the consequences to you for doing so?
- Have you ever taken responsibility for an error that another team member made? Tell me about it.
- Tell me about a typical working day.
Other options the panel discusses include calling references, calling past supervisors, conducting criminal history checks, conducting financial history checks, and drug testing. Finally, Norman Meyer introduces interview questions developed by ChatGPT. Some of the questions include:
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to make an ethical decision in your previous work experience? How did you handle the situation?
- How do you define ethical behavior, and how do you ensure that you are acting ethically in the workplace?
- Have you ever witnessed unethical behavior in the workplace? If so, how did you handle the situation?
- How do you handle conflicts of interest?
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to speak up or take a stand on an ethical issue, even if it was difficult or unpopular?
Listen to the episode on your way to or from work. February 23, 2023, Question of Ethics Conversation 35 minutes 58 seconds
Watch the episode on YouTube. February 23, 2023, Question of Ethics Conversation 38 minutes 07 seconds
Join the Conversation
Email us at email@example.com
Norman Meyer: Retired Clerk for the Federal Bankruptcy Court, District of New Mexico
Courtney Whiteside: Director, Municipal Court, St. louis, Missouri
Stacy Worby: State Jury Coordinator, Alaska State Court System
Peter Kiefer: Retired Court Professional
Joe Tommasino: Staff Attorney, Justice Court, Las Vegas, Nevada
Do You Want to Know More?
The Good Ones by Bruce Weinstein